Mrs. Perri, Counselor
Mrs. Castellanos, Student Services Clerk
The purpose of education is to make you more effective in life. The best way to educate a child is to start and build upon his or her character. In nurturing every child’s potential, we offer communities of character in which virtue is modeled, taught, and defined. With this is mind, Ethel Koger Beckham Elementary School is instrumental in providing a learning environment which provides multiple entry points to enact intelligence, multiple ways to bring forth capacity, and multiple opportunities to succeed.
The following are our core values:
1. Respects human dignity, which includes:
- internalizing the responsibility to protect and extend the worth and rights of all persons,
- working with people of different views, and
- respecting public and private property.
2. Demonstrates active responsibility for the welfare of others, which includes,
- recognizing interdependence among people,
- taking pleasure in helping others, and
- working to help others reach moral maturity.
3. Integrates individual interests and social responsibilities, which includes,
- displaying self-regarding and other-regarding moral virtues: self-control, diligence, fairness, honesty, civility in every day life,
- becoming involved in community life, and
- developing self-esteem through relationships with others.
4. Demonstrates integrity, which includes,
- practicing honesty and truthfulness, and
- accepting responsibility for one’s choices, and recognizing self-esteem and self-worth results from real achievement in surmounting challenges and obstacles in learning and life experiences.
5. Applies moral principles when making choices and judgments, which includes,
- recognizing the moral issues involved in a situation,
- seeking to be informed about important moral issues in society and the world, and
- holding these core values as a standard, measuring one’s own behavior and the behavior of others.
6. Seeks peaceful resolution of conflict, which includes,
- striving for the fair resolution of personal and social conflicts,
- knowing when to compromise and when to confront, and
- working for peace.
The students and staff of Ethel Koger Beckham Elementary School will instill these core values and accept responsibility for applying them.
Our steps toward Nurturing EVERY Child’s Potential!
- Combine critical thinking skills with technology and the Miami-Dade County Public Schools’ Competency-Based Curriculum.
- Recognize the strengths and abilities of our students and connect these to the various disciplines.
- Support school-based management and shared decision-making.
- Develop “Teacher Learning Communities” to provide resources and advances in education to the staff.
- Implement alternative methods of assessment.
- Integrate character education with all subject areas:
- Citizenship – helping to create a society based upon democratic values
- Fairness – treating people impartially, not playing favorites, being open-minded, and maintaining an objective attitude toward those whose actions and ideas are different from our own
- Trustworthiness – dealing truthfully with people, being sincere, not deceiving them nor stealing from them, not cheating nor lying
- Caring – being sympathetic, helpful, compassionate, benevolent, agreeable, and gentle toward people and other living things
- Respect – showing regard for the worth and dignity of someone or something, being courteous and polite, and judging all people on their merits
- Responsibility – thinking before you act and being accountable for your actions, paying attention to others, and responding to their needs. (Ad Hoc Task Force Report on Character Education)
- Correlate character education with the Dade County Public Schools Competency-Based Curriculum.